We've just added a Stage 6 Extension planning proforma to our website, trialled by practising teachers. We hope it works for you too! You can find it under each language listed on the left-hand menu.
The Hunter/Newcastle network will hold their next meeting on Wednesday 24 June 2020.
Enrolment: Please enrol via MyPL. Search for course code NR18042, then choose the Hunter Network Meeting Term 2 2020 ONLINE – Zoom session.
Date: Wednesday 24 June 2020
Venue: Online Zoom meeting via this link. Meeting ID: 668 6115 6423 Password: 055195
Hunter Film Festival 2020 – Daniela Philips and Ebony Rowe HSPA
Language and Culture team updates – Coreena and Shanelle
Google App Add On – Pear Deck – Sharon Waller FGHS
Games in the classroom – building engagement and learning through play – Nina Dell’Amico CC
Edpuzzle – Natalie Pollock MGHS
Sentence builders – developing language skills in your classroom – Rebeca Tamas WBHS
NESA has updated all Stage 6 course descriptions – they are now available on the NESA website.
Course descriptions are helpful for students making subject selections.
The Languages and Culture team is holding our next statewide staff meeting on Wednesday 10 June 2020.
Please join us on Adobe Connect for a registered professional learning afternoon for language teachers. The focus will be on using a variety of Google tools and apps in the language classroom, presented by the T4L team.
Date: Wednesday 10 June 2020
Online platform: Adobe Connect
Enrolment details: MyPL
Course code: RG19135
For further questions, please contact Evia Kyriacou.
We look forward to seeing you there.
The only constant is change… Change fatigue affects all of us and with the return to face-to-face classes you may be feeling that way too. Here are some tips to help you ride the waves of change.
Two eCourses for language teachers – Stage 6 school-based assessment in languages AND Languages K-10 syllabus familiarisation and planning
As teaching life begins to return to normal, just a reminder that we continue to have 2 eCourses available for language teachers 7-12 in NSW public schools. Both are registered, and available in MyPL.
1. Course code RG10281 – Stage 6 school-based assessment in languages
2. Course code RG08902 – Languages K-10 syllabus familiarisation and planning
You can complete them at your own pace, in your own time.
As students return to school in Term 2, student assessment continues to be an important tool for identifying student progress, designing your next steps and reporting. This guide addresses the different ways to use assessment FOR learning, with one of the focuses being on how it can be used to inform reporting.
- What is assessment? (a quick refresher)
- Assessment FOR learning – getting to know your students and planning the next steps
- Ways to use assessment FOR learning
- Planning your journey – the link between assessment FOR and assessment OF learning
- Digital tools
- Advice as students return to school (post COVID-19)
New learning sequences and student workbooks for Early Stage 1 to Stage 3 are now available on the Learning from home page. These resources are samples that teachers may adapt to their language specific area to meet the needs of their students and local contexts.
Early Stage 1 – my favourite toy
· Learning sequence - my favourite toy Early Stage 1 (DOCX 78KB)
· Student workbook - my favourite toy Early Stage 1 (DOCX 152KB)
Stage 1 – my dream home 2
· Learning sequence – my dream home 2 Stage 1 (DOCX 48KB)
· Student workbook –my dream home 2 Stage 1 (DOCX 1.8MB)
Stage 2 – about me
· Learning sequence – about me Stage 2 (DOCX 73KB)
· Student workbook – about me Stage 2 (DOCX 110KB)
Stage 3 – caring for the environment 2
· Learning sequence – caring for the environment Stage 3 (DOCX 50.7KB)
· Student workbook – caring for the environment Stage 3 (DOCX 484KB)
We have collated your responses to our back to school thread, and we have never seen greater evidence of how amazing you all are, what good hands our students are in, and how totally across every situation you are, even some of the crazy ones thrown at you over the last 2 months.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and thank you for being utterly amazing. It's a heartwarming read.
Note: The non-DoE events and products mentioned on this site are included at the reader's discretion. The inclusion of this information is not an endorsement by the DoE.