(Pre-service teachers welcome)
The Japan Foundation, Sydney (JF Sydney) would like to invite pre-service teachers with the intent of becoming primary teachers of Japanese to join the Intensive Seminar for Primary Teachers, to be conducted at our office in Sydney from 28 September to 1 October 2015. The aim of this invitation is to provide networking opportunities with teachers currently teaching primary level Japanese, as well as other pre-service teachers from around Australia and New Zealand.
What is the Intensive Seminar?
This seminar will enable teachers to develop language skills, gain confidence using Japanese, and to develop language teaching strategies and skills. Specific focuses include intercultural language learning (ILL) and ICT-based learning. Participants will be immersed in a Japanese language environment, and will have ample opportunity for networking. Language consultants from JF Sydney will conduct the 3.5 day seminar, together with other invited lecturers.
Why pre-service teachers?
For the first time, The Japan Foundation, Sydney is inviting a limited number of pre-service teachers to join practising teachers of Japanese at the seminar with the intent of providing a hands-on learning opportunity to the next generation of the Japanese teaching community. During the seminar, pre-service participants are required to actively learn from practising teachers as well as share their own knowledge.
Pre-service teachers are requested;
1) to be aware that the main targets of the seminar are primary teachers, and that pre-service teachers are invited to fill limited additional places set for them,
2) to understand that their language proficiency might be higher than currently practising teachers and thus the proficiency upgrading session might not be appropriate for their current level,
3) to respect the original target of this seminar (experienced teachers), and more importantly,
4) we expect they might find life-long friends and/or mentors!
We would like to ask your cooperation in helping us advertise and disseminate information about this professional development opportunity to pre-service teachers at your university/teachers’ association/jurisdiction. Applicants should submit their application forms directly to JF Sydney via email.
Please note that:
- There will be no fee for successful applicants to participate in this seminar.
- JF Sydney will offer shared accommodation for participants from outside Sydney at no charge.
- Travel to and from JF Sydney should be covered by the participant. JF Sydney also has a travel grant program (applying is no guarantee of acceptance).
- Places for pre-service teachers are limited (maximum 4).
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by 14 August 2015. We will then contact the successful applicants directly to inform them of this outcome and finalise details of the seminar.
Please contact me if you have any enquiries.
As always, thank you for your support and cooperation.
Ben Trumbull | Program Coordinator
Japanese Language Department
The Japan Foundation, Sydney
02 8239 0055 (Reception)
W: www.jpf.org.au | TW: @JPFSydney | FB: japanfoundationsydney
The Japan Foundation, Sydney is now in Central Park.