Lyrics from the song "Ο δρόμος" (1974) by Manos Loizos
Below can be found a list with a plethora of educational ideas that can be used in class with young students to commemorate the 47th Anniversary of the Athens Polytechnic Uprising (14-17 November 1973) and the popular rejection of the military dictatorship in Greece during the period between 1967 and 1974.
The link to the video here refers to the song "Ο δρόμος" (released 1974) by Manos Loιzos, one of the most important Greek Cypriot music composers of the 20th century. The song itself constitutes an emblematic song about "Eλευθερία" (Freedom).
We have just published a sample scope and sequence for Stage 5 Modern Greek – it can be accessed from the Stages 4 and 5 Modern Greek page.
Photo source: http://elearning.edc.uoc.gr
In order to support you and your students in the preparation for the HSC oral examination, we have added sample speaking questions for Modern Continuers to our website.
Photo source: https://www.researchgate.net/
Please find below a list of resources and online tools that can further assist the online teaching of Greek:
1. Through Photodentro (user generated content), the repository of educational resources of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs, Greece, you can access e-me for all, an edition of the official version of e-me, where everyone can register. "e-me for all" is a digital educational platform for primary and secondary education that can be used by students, teachers, researchers and educators who do not have access to a Greek School Network account. Access to the platform is given through user registration.
2. The Cyprus Pedagogical Institute (Cyprus Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport and Youth) has made available pdf versions of materials for teaching Greek as a second language. The materials cover topics such as greetings, around the school, family, food, fruit, vegetables, body parts, clothing, weather, animals, house, professions, neighbourhood, means of transport, holidays. The materials can be accessed through the link here, where you can find pdf files of two books, a guide for teaching the materials, flashcards as well as additional worksheets.
3. All the materials for teaching Greek as a second language developed by the Centre of Intercultural and Migrations Studies (Department of Primary Education, University of Crete, Greece) are still available for free access in the link here.
4. The following educational portal offers online games and activities for the teaching of sounds to Early Stage 1 and Stage 1 students: link 1, link 2.
5. StoryWeaver is a platform that provides young students with reading resources in different languages. Under Read and then Languages, Greek can be chosen and you can access a number of illustrated, open-licensed children's stories in Greek. The digital platform can be used not only to read a story, but also to create, adapt and translate new stories.
Note: The non-DoE events and products mentioned on this site are included at the reader's discretion. The inclusion of this information is not an endorsement by the DoE.